Sunday, September 2, 2012

Coffee Cake



We went to our friend Dilesh's Birthday Party and I baked this simple coffee cake for him.I modified this recipe from the Good Food website recipe for Coffee and Walnut Cake.I modified this recipe by skipping the walnuts which I did not have at home.I did not have self raising flour so I increased the baking powder to 1tbsp.In addition, I increased the temperature to 180 degrees centigrade and baked it for around 45 mins.I have recently realised that the only way to get properly baked cakes in my convection mode microwave setting is to increase the temperature mentioned in recipes by around 15 degrees.Hopefully this will help my future baking endeavors.

Ingredients:
Butter 125 gms
Sugar 125 gms
Eggs 2
Maida 125 gms
Baking powder 1tbsp
Coffee powder 2tbsp (dissolved in 3 tbsp hot water)
Icing Sugar 2 tsp to dust on the top at the end

Method:
1.Cube the butter and let it soften a little at room temperature.Mix the butter and sugar together until creamy.
2.Add eggs,flour and baking powder.Beat it well so that a homogeneous batter is formed without any lumps
3.Add the coffee and mix well.
4.Bake in a preheated oven (180 degrees centigrade) for 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
5.Remove from the baking tin,cool on a wire rack and dust some icing sugar through a seive for presentation.

1 comment: